Wedding Questions

1-  Can I provide my personal wedding vows?
 Answer: Yes you may. Email them to us so that we may have a copy before the ceremony.
2- Can you provide a bilingual wedding ceremony?
 Answer: Yes we can. Currently we can only provide Spanish / English weddings.
3- Can you provide a witness?
 Answer: Yes we can. There will be a charge of $20.00 for the witness.
4- Who gets to mail the wedding license to the county?
 Answer: It's part of the notary's responsibility to mail the wedding license to the county.
5- Do one or both of the applicants have to be U.S. citizens? 
Answer: No. There is no citizenship or resident requirement. 

6- Do we need a license to renew our vows? How do we go about doing this? 
Answer: No. Speak to your clergyman, chaplain, or other advisor.

7-- Under what circumstances may a license be issued to persons 16 or 17 years of age? 
Circumstances are as follows:

  • Written consent of both parents or legal guardian.
  • Parents are deceased.
  • Minor has been previously married.
  • The age requirement can be waived by a county judge for applicants who can prove they are parents or expectant parents.

8- Can an individual who is younger than 16 get a marriage license from the Clerk's Office with parental permission? 
Answer: No. With or without parental permission, a marriage license to anyone under age 16 can only be issued by a county judge.

9- Now that I am married how do I change my name?
Answer: Take a certified copy of your marriage license to any agency or place of business that you wish to notify of you name change.

For example, take your certified copy to:

       1 -Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, Division of Drivers Licenses, to change your name on your drivers’ license.

       2- Social Security Administration to change your name on your social security card. Please note that if you do not change your name with the Social Security     Administration and you file a tax return with your new name the Internal Revenue Service will be rejected your tax return.

10- Is there a waiting period for the issuance of a license? 
Answer: There is no waiting period for Florida residents who have presented both of the following:

  • Certificate of completion of premarital preparation course from a qualified registered course provider.
  • Statement attesting they have taken a premarital preparation course and read the Family Law Handbook outlining the rights and responsibilities of parties to a marriage.

Otherwise there is a 3 day waiting period.

Please note: There is no waiting period for NON-RESIDENTS.